Tuesday, September 6, 2011

anniversary cake.

you know that tradition where you save the top tier of your wedding cake to enjoy on your first anniversary?

(yep, the one where you eat cake that's been sitting in your freezer for a year.)

well, we decided to forgo that tradition.

it didn't help that we knew we'd be moving across the country and it would be challenging to move the cake with us.

so, for our anniversary, nicholas and i had a cake made for us at icing on the cake bakery.


it was really, really good.

we used the butterflies from our wedding cake on our anniversary cake, but decided to mix up the flavor. our actual wedding cake was almond cake, pineapple cake and strawberry cake (each tier was a different flavor) with buttercream icing. for our anniversary cake, we went with buttermilk chocolate cake with chocolate filling and cream cheese frosting. delicious!


we still had the butterflies as momentos from our wedding, but moist, fresh, melt-in-your-mouth cake, too. we enjoyed our cake at dinner on saturday, and then on sunday, and then on monday..... :)

9 comments:

Courtney said...

I am completely obsessed with their cakes! Looks like you had a wonderful first anniversary. Have you tried their banana cake yet, that's my favorite!

French Lover said...

This anniversary cake looks delicious! Our top tier is still in my parents' freezer (in Paris). My husband lives in Canada right now so I have no idea how we're going to pull that off. although I dream about our wedding cake, I cannot wait to have some again ;)
Bisous!

Carolina Charm said...

so adorable. I've heard a lot of couples recently deciding to forgo the top layer too, and getting a mini replica wedding cake made for their 1st anniversary!

Love the butterflies!!!

Samantha said...

That anniversary cake is so pretty (and wonderful that it was delicious too)! That was a genius idea!

xo, sam

Bree said...

Bet it was delicious! I've started picking up a red velvet cake about that size every year for my boyfriend and I on our anniversary from my favorite place. Makes me look forward to the date even more!

Alexis @bloomedinjune said...

SUCH a yummy lookin' cake!

Ashley said...

icing on the cake has the BEST cookies...called the BIG TOP COOKIE (shortbread with pink icing) to dieeeee for!!!

Sara Szatmary said...

AW!! I love this!!! What a sweet idea. I hope you two do this every year!

Crazy Shenanigans-JMO said...

That looks and sounds so good! I bet it was way better than what a cake sitting in the freezer for a year would have been.