Wednesday, January 30, 2013

My New Favorite Chili Recipe. And, It's Paleo!

Since the end of November, Nick and I have been following a Paleo diet at least 80% of the time. I am absolutely loving how great I feel eating this way. Thus, I've been spending a lot more time in the kitchen and, lucky for us, have discovered and created some oh-my-god delicious(!) and healthy meals.

I'd like to just take a moment to pat myself on the back for all the cooking I've been doing!

...OK, done. ;)

I thought I'd share my chili recipe with y'all because it is SO good it would be selfish to keep it to myself!

Yummm.... Do not forget the avocado garnish - it's almost the best part! 
(Avocados are hands down my favorite food!!!)

Yields 8 servings

3 Tbsp olive oil
1 large red onion, diced
3 bell peppers, red and green, diced
1 Tbsp minced garlic
2 lbs grass fed ground beef
2 Tbsp chili powder
2 Tbsp cumin
2 tsp crushed red pepper
4 squares of 73% cacao dark chocolate
2 tsp kosher salt
pepper to taste
26 oz chopped tomatoes (I use Pomi.)
2 cups beef stock

Scallions and avocado for topping.

Saute onion, peppers, and garlic in olive oil until soft. Add ground beef and saute until browned. Add seasonings, chocolate, tomatoes, and beef stock. Simmer for 20 minutes to a few hours - depending on how hungry/inpatient you are! Top with scallions and sliced avocado. 

See... super easy and so, so good!

2 comments:

Michelle {lovely little things} said...

I need to try this!

Carol {Everyday Delights} said...

Yum! I love avocados too! I've actually had a lot of friends try to eat more "paleo centered" - I'll have to try it! p.s. what is your instagram name? I'm Carol701!