Friday, February 1, 2013

Scotland, Part Five: Our last day in Edinburgh.

When we got to the last day of our trip, we were so not ready to leave. How did 10 days go by so fast?!? There was still so much to explore, but we did manage to pack a lot into our last day:

We did a little shopping, and checked out a local supermarket.
Prawn Cocktail chips, anyone?



We climbed Calton Hill to see panoramic views of Edinburgh.



Below is the Palace of Holyroodhouse, the official residence of the British royal family in Scotland:


Arthur's Seat^^
We originally had planned to hike to the top of Arthur's Seat, but it was freezing and windy on our last day there, so we opted for the much easier, but just as beautiful, Calton Hill.

We ventured under the city streets for a tour of the haunted Blair Street vaults.
Image above from here.

We met our tour guide at the Mercat Cross on the Royal Mile, and she demonstrated (on Nicholas!) how the monument was used for public shamings and punishment. Nicholas and another English fellow were whipped 13 times! (And she's didn't take it easy... wish I could have gotten a better picture, but I was too busy laughing!).



We actually ate haggis! When in Rome Scotland...


... and we also had Scottish steak at Wildfire on Rose St
(It was delicious, but I have to admit that nothing compares to the beef we grew up with in Texas and Nebraska!)

And that concludes our trip to the UK. My heart just melts thinking about all the fun I had with my darling husband there. I cannot wait for the next chance we have to go back! Maybe we'll just have to move there for a couple of years... hint, hint Nicholas.. ;)

xoxo

1 comment:

Weekend Cowgirl said...

Alethea and I are going! Can you email me list of eating places, hotel and sights we must see. We will just be there 2 days or so. It will be a side trip!! FB me for my email...