Tuesday, July 9, 2013

A Secret Beach in Santa Cruz.


We spent the last day of our four-day Fourth of July weekend exploring Panther Beach in Santa Cruz. It's off the beaten path, and kind of hike to get to, but once you are on the sand, it is so beautiful. Huge rock formations with an arch cut into one enclose you into a private beach alcove.




The Texan in me finds it hard to believe that you'd need a fleece or sweatshirt on the beach, but sure enough it was overcast and in the 60s down by the water the day we were there. (Yep, in July!)


We stayed for a bit and had a picnic, took pictures and walked up and down the beach, but then my ears were going numb so we decided to call it a day early and head into town for a warm cup of coffee.


^^^Attempting a little free style rock climbing

We would love to go back when the sun is shining and the weather is bathing suit appropriate! (I suppose we should have checked the weather before we went last time... thankfully I'm accustomed to keeping a fleece in my car for our chilly California nights.)

If you're in the area and would like to check it out, here are the directions to Panther Beach:

Northbound from Santa Cruz on Hwy 1, look for the elevated dirt parking lot off to the left between mile markers 26 and 27. Park there and cross the railroad tracks toward the ocean and you'll see a sign for Panther Beach. Follow the trail to the right of the Panther Beach sign down to the sand. Be careful - the trail is uneven and very steep. The arch is down on the left. If you decide to go through the arch to the beach on the other side, be sure to keep an eye on the tide. At high tide, the water will come up past the arch leaving you stranded on the other side.


^^^The railroad tracks are between the parking lot and the trail.
 ^^^The trail down is to the right of the sign.
^^^ Very steep trail down to the beach.

I guess this secret beach isn't so secret anymore! ;)

7 comments:

Jenna said...

So, so pretty!!! I'm a California native and have somehow never made it to Santa Cruz. Jurgen and I were just saying to each other yesterday that we need to make a plan to visit next time we're out :)

xxx
Jenna

Cortney said...

So jealous! Wish I could be on the beach right now:)

Crazy Shenanigans-JMO said...

I was just in Santa Cruz in June and had no idea about this beach! I need to go there! I know what you mean about the cold air. It was freezing in June there at the boardwalk.

Bailey@Lost&Found said...

Love Panther! I went to UCSC and miss Santa Cruz every day- of course, I didn't appreciate it while I was there, LOL.

Carol {Everyday Delights} said...

What a cool place!

Nicole Marie said...

that first photo is amazing!

Cortney said...

Just wanted to let you know I nominated you for the Liebster award. Love your blog:)
http://ourfishyfamily.blogspot.com/2013/09/liebster-award.html