Monday, July 1, 2013

Mead Family Orchard and Jam Co.


Check out all of our apricots on the tree in our backyard!!!!!! 
We have more apricots than we know what to do with. 


Each night this week, we've picked all the apricots that have fallen, thrown out the bad ones, then chopped up, pitted and froze the apricots. Our freezer is overflowing with bags of apricots. We've also taken baskets and baskets of fresh apricots to work... now Nicholas is known as Mr. Apricot haha!

Mr. Apricot, my kitchen helper!

Jam seemed like a labor-intensive thing to make, but a co-worker gave me a pretty simple recipe so I made some apricot jam! It was yummy, but WOW there is a lot of sugar in jam. 

Making Jam...



And the final product:

I had to take a picture of my finished project in front of the apricot tree! 

I've been all over pinterest for apricot recipes. I've seen lots that sound scrumptious including these Pork, Apricot and Red Onion grilled kebobs, but if you have any other good recipes for apricots, send them my way!

*On a side note, when my nieces were here in April, they kept calling them "papercuts" 
... which kind of sounds like apricots... so cute!

2 comments:

Michelle {lovely little things} said...

What a crop you had! Bet that jam tastes even better knowing you made it :)

Crazy Shenanigans-JMO said...

Totally jealous of your fruit trees!!! I just planted some this year!