Saturday, January 10, 2015

Baby Mead: Weeks 1-12

My first trimester of my first pregnancy is over... and, wow! It went by so fast. Before my "pregnancy brain" wipes away those memories, here is a little overview... 

How far along: 19 weeks now... but this is all about the 1st trimester!

Baby's Size: We started out the first trimester with a microscopic embryo and ended with a baby the size of a plum! Just over 2 inches and half an ounce.

Baby's First Picture

12ish weeks later...
So amazing, right?!

Weight gain: I don't really remember now, but I think around 5 lbs! 

Food Cravings/Aversions: My very first craving was chicken-fried steak with gravy. I ate it probably once a week for 5 weeks - I just couldn't get enough of it!!!! Until around 9 weeks, when I was at brunch with Nick's family and half the table ordered chicken-fried steak with eggs and YUCK! it looked and smelled so gross. I had to leave the table and go lay down in the car to keep from puking! Around that time is when most food didn't sound very good and I needed to keep something in my tummy, like crackers or gingersnaps, or else I would be queasy. I was also really into bagels with cream cheese and orange juice in the morning. 
 
Appointments: I had ultrasounds/appointments around 7 and 9 weeks along. I wrapped up with my RE around 10 weeks... it was bittersweet - I LOVED my nurse and doctor there! But, I was very thankful to "graduate" to my OB. My first appointment with my OB was right at 10 weeks and it was amazing to see how much the baby grew in just a few quick weeks!

Maternity clothes: I gained weight and was bloated right off the bat, so I welcomed maternity pants a little earlier than most! My GAP maternity leggings are the most comfortable things in the world. I also got a couple pairs of jeans (one with a demi-panel and one with a full panel) which were way more comfortable than my rubberband-rigged skinny jeans.

Sleep: Um, a lot. I could sleep for 8 hours, then nap for 5 during the day, and be ready for bed again at 8:30pm! I had no idea growing a baby was so exhausting! And it's still so small!

Gender: We don't know yet! However, I had a dream that it was a BOY. In my dream, I was getting an ultrasound and the tech said, "Congratulations! It's a Boy!" But, I didn't want to know. "Wait... you weren't supposed to tell us!!" Then the tech said, "I didn't say Boy... I said Joy... What a Joy!" Then, I woke up from my dream, because I probably had to pee. :)

Movement: None yet! 

Symptoms: My sense of smell was super-human. Nick was so amazed at the scents I could pick up! I also quite frequently had heartburn and would feel queasy on an empty stomach, but that was the worst of it! I only got sick one time - thanks to a whiff of Cricket's dog food first thing in the morning. Overall though, I can't complain!

Best moment this trimester: Wow, so hard to pick one moment. 
  • Sharing our wonderful news with our families and friends was so fun. We spent time with Nick's family over Thanksgiving in Iowa and my family came to Denver for Christmas! Everyone was so thrilled for us, which made us feel so special and even more excited. 
  • Hearing the baby's heartbeat the first time was such a sweet sound.
  • Baby waved at us during our 12 week ultrasound! 
Nursery: It's still just a storage room... we have lots of work to do, but my "baby mead" Pinterest board is busting at the seams with the sweetest ideas! 

Mood: A mix between disbelief and pure gratitude!

Looking forward to: A real bump! Not just a chicken-fried steak bump... ;)

The three of us near the end of the first trimester!