Wednesday, October 7, 2015

My Maternity Leave is Over

Tomorrow my maternity leave is over. We're starting a new adventure... I'm headed back to work and our little bub will be going to daycare. I feel better about it when I call it school, but honestly I'm still a wreck about it. I've just been dreading this day. Everyone said maternity leave would fly by, but this day arrived so much faster than I could have imagined! Every time I think about leaving Worth all day, I just burst into tears. This summer, being home with Worth, has been the most rewarding and amazing experience of my whole life. I have loved every single second I've spent with him. We've been inseparable, and I wouldn't have had it any other way. The round-the-clock feedings, the diaper changes, the cooing, tummy time, bath time, the not-getting-anything-done-all-day-because-my-baby-wants-to-be-rocked... I've loved it all. And I'm really, really going to miss it.  Being Worth's mama is the greatest role and blessing. Dropping him off each day is going to break my heart and I am going to live off of seeing his little smile (or serious face, knowing Worth!) when I pick him up. It's going to make our evenings and weekends and late night wake ups extra special. I've heard it will get easier, but I'm not sure I believe it yet.

To make today special, Worth and I did one of our favorite activities... we strolled down to the park in the neighborhood and laid in the shade on the special quilt my aunt and cousin made for Worth. The walk to the park was a little chilly, but by the time we arrived it had warmed up quite a bit and was the perfect temperature for a park day. Not too hot, not too cool. I picked up a doughnut and a latte on the way... we took some selfies... we did some tummy time... we watched the big kids play and I teared up knowing next summer he'll be one of the "big kids" walking around. Nick called and asked how my day was going... I said it was magical and it really was. I feel so fortunate to have a happy, healthy little sugar muffin all to myself! 




Worth is a sweet, easy going boy and I'm sure he'll be just fine tomorrow for his first day of daycare. I'm just not so sure how I'll manage. At least he'll be close enough for me to pop over during lunch and give him cuddles and kisses and hopefully be there in time to feed him. Maybe I'll get all the tears out tonight and be dried up tomorrow so I don't completely embarrass myself at work... maybe. On the bright side, starting back to work on a Thursday means it's almost the weekend!

Wish us luck!

1 comment:

Michelle {lovely little things} said...

Hang in there, the first day/week/few weeks are tough. You will be emotional and that's okay. Avoid people who make you feel otherwise. I tried to remind myself that I was working to provide a better life for my child, and focus on the things my salary afforded us as a family. That was motivating for me. Good luck!! xoxo